Attendance and Punctuality Policy
Please have a look at our Attendance and Punctuality Newsletter. If you would like to see our Policy please scroll further down this page.
If Learners are to get the greatest benefit from their education in school, it is important that they have good attendance and arrive punctually. As learners grow and prepare for their next stages of education and employment they need to see good attendance and punctuality as important qualities that are valued by others and employers. We will do all that we can to encourage good attendance and punctuality. Where learners are not conforming to our high expectations for attendance and punctuality we will put into place effective strategies to bring about improvement.
- To ensure that all learners attend school well.
- To ensure that all learners are punctual.
- To win the support of parents in ensuring that their children attend school well and that they arrive on time.
- To keep good records of attendance through the school registers and to take prompt action to follow up absences.
- To investigate and act immediately where truancy is suspected or confirmed.
- To work effectively with the LA and other agencies to follow up attendance issues promptly and efficiently.
- To monitor closely pupils with attendance and punctuality issues and to work with parents and where appropriate other agencies to bring about improvement.
- All staff will complete registers accurately for each session and will draw to the Headteacher’s attention any absences that are cause for concern or suspicion.
- Learners arriving late will be reported to the Headteacher and each teacher will keep a record with their register of the times and occasions that a learner is late.
- Parents will be asked to telephone or notify the school if their child is absent or ill.
- The school office will make telephone contact with a home when a child is absent if the parents have not notified the school that their child is absent.
- Where a learner is developing a pattern of ‘occasional’ absences the parent will be contacted to discuss the pattern of absences.
- The school will use welfare and attendance officers to follow up absences that are suspicious or causing concern.
- Where necessary the school will work closely with the LA to take action against those unlawfully keeping learners from school.
This school will do all it can to ensure that learners come happily, willingly and punctually to school to ensure that all gain the greatest possible value from their education.
Revised and adopted by the Governing Body …2013...